Monday, January 19, 2015

Icy Conditions...

Can't say enough that the 991 C4S handling is just astounding in slippery / icy conditions!  I have a '14 991 911 Carrera 4S, the all-wheel drive version of the 911 platform.  I also have Michelin Alpin snow tires on winter wheels mounted-up.

Yesterday morning I was out in seriously dangerous driving conditions here in NE PA -- a steady, light drizzle kind of rain mixed with freezing temperatures.  In most areas of roadway the surface was wet, but every so often you'd hit "black ice" where the surface just looks wet but is actually a thin sheet of ice.  Nearby in Philadelphia, there were massive pile-ups of cars on the major roadways, killing 3 people.  Major bridges across the Delaware River were closed the surfaces were so dangerous.

First, you might be thinking why on Earth would I be going out?  Great question! Actually, I knew there was a possibility of some ice, but I did NOT know just how bad it was going to be.  I couldn't take the SUV as my wife needed it, so I took the 911.  On my way out, the C4 feels solid, sure-footed, and exudes confidence.  I have the Power Steering + option, but even so I was getting a ton of good feedback from the wheels, and could feel when the traction was sketchy.  Yes, the light would start blinking for traction control kicking-in, but in some cases I could feel the slip of the car sideways before the sensors detected wheel spin.

On one particular twisting road section I felt the car slipping sideways just a bit, and as I was about to enter a curve I simply let off the power, didn't hit the brakes, and used the wheel to keep the car from going into a full slide or worse, spin!  Car corrected direction, then I applied a bit of power -- and the car slipped again, the traction control kicking-in.  I went through the same reaction as when I hit the ice and let the car correct itself, not hitting the brakes at all and had to go through this several more times until I hit a stretch of road surface that was just wet.  I watched other drivers heading the other direction moving like snails, wheels spinning and stopping, spinning and stopping, sliding sideways -- as they tried to power their way through the icy stretch!  I put my flashers on and flicked the hi/lo beams to warn oncoming drivers, but I still watched as couple of SUVs cruised right on by, oblivious of the road conditions they were about to hit!  I didn't look back, but imagine someone had a wake-up call as they left the road!

I was amazed at how well the car handled for the duration of my ride.  I do know that my experience driving in ice and snow certainly helped, as I am sure that if I hit the brakes hard when entering the slip, or jerking the wheel, I would have been off the road in a heartbeat!  Can't bend the laws of physics!  The low center of gravity, the weight over the rear wheels, the wide tires and track of the car all contribute to making this car handle fantastic in these situations.  Of course, having full snow-tires mounted up certainly help a lot, as the aggressive tread pattern will grip just about anything!

So, for those out there who have a 911 and aren't sure how well it handles in the snow or ice, hopefully my experience gives you some idea of the capabilities of the car.  Of course, you should go out and in safe areas practice sliding and such, to learn the limits of your cars traction, etc.

Have fun and be safe!


No comments:

Post a Comment